Jan 20, 2011

Exodus 15:1-18

15:1 Then Moses and the Israelites sang this song to the Lord. They said,
“I will sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously,
the horse and its rider he has thrown into the sea.
15:2 The Lord is my strength and my song,
and he has become my salvation.
This is my God, and I will praise him,
my father’s God, and I will exalt him.
15:3 The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name.
15:4 The chariots of Pharaoh and his army he has thrown into the sea,
and his chosen officers were drowned in the Red Sea.
15:5 The depths have covered them,
they went down to the bottom like a stone.
15:6 Your right hand, O Lord, was majestic in power,
your right hand, O Lord, shattered the enemy.
15:7 In the abundance of your majesty you have overthrown
those who rise up against you.
You sent forth your wrath;
it consumed them like stubble.
15:8 By the blast of your nostrils the waters were piled up,
the flowing water stood upright like a heap,
and the deep waters were solidified in the heart of the sea.
15:9 The enemy said, ‘I will chase, I will overtake,
I will divide the spoil;
my desire will be satisfied on them.
I will draw my sword, my hand will destroy them.’
15:10 But you blew with your breath, and the sea covered them.
They sank like lead in the mighty waters.
15:11 Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods?
Who is like you? – majestic in holiness, fearful in praises, working wonders?
15:12 You stretched out your right hand,
the earth swallowed them.
15:13 By your loyal love you will lead the people whom you have redeemed;
you will guide them by your strength to your holy dwelling place.
15:14 The nations will hear and tremble;
anguish will seize the inhabitants of Philistia.
15:15 Then the chiefs of Edom will be terrified,
trembling will seize the leaders of Moab,
and the inhabitants of Canaan will shake.
15:16 Fear and dread will fall on them;
by the greatness of your arm they will be as still as stone
until your people pass by, O Lord,
until the people whom you have bought pass by.
15:17 You will bring them in and plant them in the mountain of your inheritance,
in the place you made for your residence, O Lord,
the sanctuary, O Lord, that your hands have established.
15:18 The Lord will reign forever and ever!


Now, I'm a fan of all genres of music. Whether it bet rock, rap, country, classical, ambient, film scores or even dubstep I'm a fan. If it wasn't for music I wouldn't have half the life I have to keep moving on through some either great days or some of the worst. Music is something that seems to be a common comfort among people with Asperger's so it's no surprise that it's a huge comfort for myself as well.

To me music can give me energy when I feel I'm lacking it, if I'm uncomfortable just throwing on my headphones and turning on my mp3 player can get me back at a better level than I am at. To me music is like having someone in my corner waiting there for me, supporting me and keeping me going.

Right now I am going through a personal struggle revolving around my relationship with Christ. I've become under the realization of where I am going wrong and knowing that my life or my heart is not completely where it should be. So it is music right now that is keeping me with that focus and helping me further what I am searching for. Which is where Christian music is coming in to be in my corner.

But when I say Christian music I'm not talking about what is usually thought of or heard. It's not the sweet sounds and harmony of soothing instruments with equally thought provoking lyrics. Instead, this stuff has a harder beat to it the lyrics are intense. And yet, it's that person in the corner that I am in need of right now to help me with my quest.

Now I will say that this is rap but unless you've heard Christian rap I ask that you do not overlook this. It's different and it's intense.

First one is Flame's 'Tonight':

I just wanna be I just wanna be
Closer to Your heart You will find me there
Everything I am It’s because of You
It’s because of You And now, we sing
Tonight I’m giving You all of me
Tonight I let go of everything
Tonight I’m giving You all of me
Tonight Tonight Tonight
I give You all of me

Next up to share is one that I just recently stumbled upon but speaks to how I am faltering.

It's Sho Baraka's Me, Myself, and I:

You a liar, you're a jerk, you're a creep
So prideful, arrogant and weak
Lord Help this could be the end of me
What do I do when I'm sleeping with the enemy me
I run from (Me myself and I)
I Iove some (Me myself and I)
I'm trying to run from (Me myself and I)


Another song from Flame that works as a good song when you're in need of a strong push. Flame's 'When You Step':

We got to fall back and think about life
Cause it's precious and it's sacred
A gift from Christ that we can't get twice
Yea I know that we chase the riches
We must admit this it add significance
Or at least we think it does


Another song for when you're in need of a push is 116 Clique's version of 'No More' with Tedashii & Lecrae.

My hatred is strong for you my love for God is greater than the lust that i offered you cause everythings wrong with you the world wanna roll with you say that you slaving me, the Holy Spirits controlling you and this here i know is true the scriptures are showin you since i belong in Christ I aint going to take this no more from you!!


From 116 Clique with Lecrae & Trip Lee another good one is 'Cash or Christ/Fanatic' Now Cash or Christ is a song by Trip Lee and Fanatic is a song by Lecrae but 116 Clique put those two songs that are their own are very good songs and created this. This song has heart but I must say it really picks up the most at 2:51 with Lecrae peaking in with Fanatic.


I'm a F-A-N-A-T-I-C, I rep Christ til I D-I-E
I'm not extreme, I'm redeemed with faith
I serve a God who is extremely great, I'm fanatic


Getting away from songs that push you and more towards songs that are just about praising Christ is another from Flame called 'See Him More':


I wanna see more of Him
Cause I'm sick of more of me
I'm a be like Zacchae
In that Sycamore tree
I wanna see more of Him
Cause I'm sick of more of me
Lord I promise





To Live Is Christ from Trip Lee talks about Philippians. Very good to listen to the lyrics and the message that comes with it. This also has to be one of my favorite videos for any of these songs I've seen yet.

Our life is nothing, but Christ is all
So conduct yourselves worthy of His righteous call


Following that is another from Trip Lee with 'We Told Them'. Which is another one that brings out a powerful message in it's own. A lot of us say that we're Christians but the way we live our lives or the way we walk just aren't enough to really show those around us that we are in fact Christians. If anything it's just words coming out of our mouths. And most times it's done just to make ourselves feel good about who we think we are but as it's been said actions speak louder than words and it's important that if we are going to say we're Christians then we must be Christians and not just tell others so, we have to show them.

If we gon get it for the Lord, then we gotta get on one accord
It's time we pick up all our swords, let's show em we Christians
If we gon get it for the Lord, then we gotta get on one accord
We told em we Christians, now let's show em we Christians


Being a Christian isn't easy there are times that will push us, pull us and cause us to wonder and have doubt in Christ. He's aware of this but what we need to be aware of is that despite the fact that we go through our plights and begin to falter he is still there. He's near us and with us every step of the way. Which is where Lecrae's song 'Far Away' can really help during moments of being unsure or in doubt, or just feeling like we're in this alone.

Now this song was originally written and used to help raise funds and awareness for Haiti relief but the lyrics are so powerful that you can't help but apply them into your own life or your own world.


(PSALMS 62:5-8)
5. For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence,
for my hope is from him.
6. He only is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
7. On God rests my salvation and my glory;
my mighty rock, my refuge is God.
8. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us.


'Sound' is another song from 116 Clique with Trip Lee. It speaks about the letter that Paul wrote to Titus. This one is a lot like 'To Live Is Christ' in that it's worth to listen closely to the lyrics and learn something from it.

Let's be sound in faith,
the doctrine in speech plus deeds rep.
Jesus the king, let him lead us please plus
we see he told us how we must be less ,
read and trust Jesus who freed us


Next is 'Transformer' from Tedashii. Which is a song that talks about the change we go through when we give ourselves up to God. That our old ways and who we were before are no longer with us and we move on to become something better. But that change isn't something that came from just inside of us but came from God and following him in his ways. It is also a change that seems to continuously keep going.

Cling to his cross believe that He raised, see the truth, see the life, you can see the way


Last song is an old favorite of mine. It was the first Christian Rap song that I had heard and the lyrics in it really stuck me to and had me hooked pretty quickly to CR. Not to mention to Lecrae who raps this song called 'Prayin' For You'. It's a song that the emotions of it were at the time how I exactly felt. Quite honestly, I felt like Lecrae was rapping about me. It was the ending of the song which really brought it all home for me. The song is really nothing more than a guy praying for a friend and this prayer is one that I keep with me through it all.


He ain't hearin' You and he ain't feelin' me and God I know it's killin' You because it's killin' me and matter of fact there's somethin' else he's concealin' see, the person that I've been prayin' about is really me...


That is what I'll end this with now. Except for this last video. It's not so much a song despite the fact that you do get about 40 seconds of one in the middle. This is a video I was led to the other day while trying to hunt down different CR artists. It's from Buck Barnabas, now before finding this video I had never heard of Buck but I feel blessed to have been led to hear his music because it ranks up there with Lecrae, Trip Lee, Tedashii, and Flame. The lyrics are all though-provoking and the beats lay it out in a way that keep you moving.

The video is called 'Who Is Buck Barnabas?'. The video only really tells you a little bit about who Buck is but the message that can be grasped at from the video is more important I think. I will warn you though that it's a very intense video. There is a warning that due to the graphic nature of some of the scenes that discretion is advised.



And that is the majority of what is shuffling along in my Mp3 player at this point in time. There is a lot more that I could ad but figured I would just stick with the songs and the lyrics that are really impacting me and helping me keep focused on my quest right now. I can only hope that someone out there really gives these tracks a chance and hear them out like I did. Then become hooked on to Christian Rap like I have become because its a wonderful journey from hearing a song, liking the beat and then separating the lyrics. There's a powerful message in all of these tracks and they can help you get through whatever it is you're going through but more importantly it can draw you closer to God. Which is where it all begins and ends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment